Saturday, August 23, 2008

The DNC

Well our efforts for the DNC officially began yesterday. The city is pretty much on lock-down with cops and swat teams everywhere. There are police on foot, horse, bike, car, basically everything. At my command post there are Secret Service people, Coast Guard, Denver police, EPA and FBI...along with any other government agency you could think of.

So far, things have been uneventful. Last night was actually alright and I was less tired than I thought I was going to be. Although, at about 6:30am I was really struggling to stay awake. I'm at night two right now and basically I just sit at the command post and wait for a phone call that tells us we need to go into action. I really hope that doesn't happen.

As for downtown, things are kinda a mess. Streets are closed, buses are screwed up, lightrail is shut down and the locals are just pretty much avoiding the area. Thing really won't begin to rock and roll until Monday when the convention actually starts.

I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully I'll get to take some pictures. Right now, I'm just adjusting to the night schedule and mainly focusing on staying awake.

No comments: